Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddy - no matter what you call this easy marijuana muddy buddies recipe, you're going to love the extra kick from the cannabis. This no bake edible treat is made with CannaButter and is freezer friendly - so you can make a double batch and enjoy it for months afterwards.
You'll never want to eat Chex Mix Muddy Buddies without weed again. Bonus - It's completely gluten free! Yum!
Consider this the sweeter version of your favorite Cannabis Chex Mix. It's perfect for the holidays, to give as gifts or even to munch on all summer long. The hardest part will be limiting your serving size.
👩🏻🍳 BEFORE YOU GET STARTED
If you’re new to cooking with cannabis, you’ll want to learn more about getting started. It’s not hard to cook with cannabis, but there are a few things you’ll need to understand first. For this recipe, you’ll need to know:
- Cake mix (your choice of flavor)
- Frosting (your choice of flavor)
- Mason jar
- CannaButter or CannaOil
See recipe card for quantities.
- Prepare the cake mix according to package instructions.
- Bake on a greased half sheet pan. Cake will be thin.
- Let cool completely.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut out cake rounds that are slightly smaller than the mason jar opening. You will need 3-4 cake rounds per mason jar.
- Place one cake round in the bottom of the mason jar.
- Add one teaspoon melted CannaButter or Canna Oil. Each teaspoon of CannaButter or Canna Oil adds 28 mg of THC, so you may only want to do one teaspoon of your infusion per mason jar, but you can add more if you want.
- Top with frosting and sprinkles.
- Repeat until mason jar is full.
- Place a lid on your jar. Store in the refrigerator and eat within 7 days or in the freezer within 6 months.
HINT: Use a cookie cutter that's about 2.5 inches in diameter to fit inside your mason jar.
🍽 SERVING SIZE + DOSING
Serving Size: One mason jar cake (with 1 teaspoon of CannaButter or Canna Oil)
Servings per Recipe: 12
Dosage: Approximately 28 mg THC per serving. Dosage determined using marijuana with 10% THC.
Want to make this recipe more or less potent? Here are a couple options:
- Use a stronger strain of marijuana when making your CannaButter or Canna Oil infusion.
- Add more or less CannaButter or Canna Oil. Because you're not baking the infusion into the recipe, you have the flexibility to really control the dosing in this recipe.
Make it Gluten Free
Making this recipe gluten free is as easy as choosing a gluten free cake mix! We really like this one.
Make it Dairy Free
To make this recipe dairy free, use a dairy free cake mix and frosting (most frostings are dairy free). You'll also want to use Canna Oil or a dairy-free version of CannaButter. The Vegan Knife makes a super yummy dairy free cake mix.
There are several variations you can try with this recipe!
- Experiment with Different Cake Mixes: As we mentioned before, you can use ANY cake mix you like. Try all different types to see what you like best.
- Add food coloring: Dye some or all of your cake mix before baking so you have different colors and layers of cake in your mason jars. You can also add food coloring to your frosting.
- Add M&Ms or other candies: Who says you can't have fun with your layers? Toss in some chocolate chips, nuts, sprinkles, M&Ms, crushed candy canes - anything you think will enhance the flavor. Yum!
- Try fresh fruit: Make an angel food cake and layer in cream cheese frosting and fresh berries.
🥘FREEZING AND STORAGE
Place a lid on your mason jar and store in the fridge for up to one week.
Make each mason jar cake separately, add a mason jar lid and store in the freezer for up to six months.
OR you can cut the cake into rounds and freeze the cake rounds in an airtight container for up to six months. When you're ready to make another mason jar cake, simply take three cake rounds from the freezer and add your frosting and infusion.
📋 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why is it called Muddy Buddies? Is there another name for it?
Yes! It was originally called Puppy Chow because it so closely resembles puppy chow. Once it caught on in popularity, Chex cereal printed a recipe on the box called Muddy Buddies.
It's also called: Monkey Munch, Muddy Munch, Reindeer Chow and Doggy Bag
Is Puppy Chow healthy for me?
Ummm.... no. Not even a little bit. But eat up and don't worry about calories or fat or anything other than feeling blissed out on this tasty treat.
Is this a Midwest thing? I've never heard of it.
It was started in the Midwest and continues to be popular there, although it is spreading to the far corners of the US.Print
Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddy - no matter what you call this easy marijuana muddy buddies recipe, you're going to love the extra kick from the cannabis. This no bake edible treat is made with CannaButter and is freezer friendly - so you can make a double batch and enjoy it for months afterwards. You'll never want to eat Chex Mix Muddy Buddies without weed again. Bonus - It's completely gluten free! Yum!
- 9 cups Rice Chex™, Corn Chex™ or Chocolate Chex™ cereal (or combination)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup CannaButter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Measure cereal into large bowl and set aside.
- In microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and CannaButter uncovered on high for 1 minute; stir.
- Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Pour into 2-gallon ziploc bag.
- Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated.
- Spread on waxed paper to cool.
- Divide into airtight bags or containers.
Serving Size: ½ cup
Servings per Recipe: 18
Dosage: Approximately 19 mg THC per serving. Dosage determined using marijuana with 10% THC
Keywords: Gluten Free, Dessert, Sweet, Cannabis, Marijuana, Weed, Edibles, Holidays